Saturday, September 26, 2009

Crazy Night!!

Last Wednesday morning, as I was preparing to come home from the hospital, I called my mom to finalize plans that she and Aaron were coming down to help out for the afternoon. The answer that I got was not what I was expecting...
"Well, last night I was driving down to the bus station to pick up Aaron. I was heading into New Hampton when I got busted for speeding. I explained that I wasn't paying attention and that I was going to pick up my son who was visiting from Washington. He let me got with a 'have a good night' and a warning. I was pretty flumoxed by this, so I accidentally got going on 93N instead of 93S. So that put me a good 40 minutes behind schedule, plus I was nervous that the officer saw me get on 93N when I said I was going to Concord...
So I gave Aaron a call so he knew that I was running late. He told me that instead of waiting at the station, he would wait at the stop light coming off of the ramp so we could get right back onto the highway. So I get to the exit, in jumps Aaron, as he's putting his seatbelt on he tells me the light is green. As I start pulling out the back side of the driver's side gets SLAMMED by someone blowing a red light. We spin around in the intersection and as we come to a stop we see the person throw the vehicle back into drive and speed off. Hit and run. Aaron jumps out and starts chasing the car to see if he can get the license plate number. He can't. I'm just sitting in shock this whole time.
Aaron calss 911 and while we are waiting a good samaritan parks next to us to tell us that he was behind the car that hit us and that he followed him and got his plate numbers. After 10 minutes of waiting an officer happens upon the scene and waits until the responding officer arrives. She seems a bit disinterested in the incident and when Aaron suggests that the car looks okay to drive home, she agrees and sends us on our way.
We drive around the Concord Trailways parking lot of a bit and decide that we can, indeed, make it home. The alignment isn't even off! So Aaron, who is less shaken by all of this, decides to drive. A mile and a half onto the highway he looks in the rearview mirror and says 'Oh, he must have hit the rearview light because it's blinking. Oh. wait. Thats a FIRE.' So he pulls over and starts screaming for us to get out of the car, that its going to explode. So we run as fast as we can. I feel like I'm in an episode of Cops, running through a field in the middle of the night. Aaron yells that we have to keep running because the fire was right next to the gas tank and it could blow at any second. Then he says 'Wait! All of my stuff is in the car!' And runs back to go get it!! He makes it back safely and at this point another good samaritan pulls over and offers to let us sit in her car. She calls 911 for us because we are in such shock. Another 10 minutes later the fire department shows up to put out the fire. I called my visiting teacher to take us home."
Thus, within an hour, my mom's car was put into the system THREE times.
Mom and Aaron braved their fear and still came down to see me on Wednesday and on the way back found a new (used) car for mom. It was a very scary experience that ended up with several miraculous outcomes. What a blessing that they came out of it just fine!
mom with the car the next day after it had been towed

3 comments:

Cindi said...

Thankful that it all turned out okay...how scary...saw your mom's new car...it is cute, just like her! Crazy Night describes it all perfectly!

Amber said...

Holy cow! That's NUTS!

michael ann said...

goodness gracious! (great balls of fire?) we were out with marisa and your dad when your mom called to relay the event, so glad that everything turned out okay!