Thursday, September 13, 2007

My classes + a part time job??

Well I got the seminar calendar and I was surprised to see when my classes meet. For the most part I only have ONE class a week and they don't actually start until October 1st:

Mon 1 Oct: 2-4pm
Fri 5 Oct: 9-11am
Fri 12 Oct: 2-4pm
Fri 19 Oct: 2-4pm
Fri 26 Oct: 2-4pm
Fri 2 Nov: 2-4pm
Fri 9 Nov: 2-4pm
Fri 16 Nov: 2-4pm
Fri 23 Nov: 2-4pm
Fri 30 Nov: 2-4pm
Fri 7 Dec: 2-4pm
Wed 12 Dec: 1pm
Fri 14 Dec: 2-4pm

This for a price tag of $17,000 tuition and $14,000 room and board :)

Well, I have been assured that I will be very VERY busy with school work while not in classes.

In addition, I may have landed a part time job working for Subway. Today I go in for a 5 hour (3pm-8pm) Unpaid training session. After that they will decide if they will hire me on. The pay is minimum wage at £5.35/hour. Which doesn't seem much until you convert that over to the USD in which case I am making $11.oo/hour.

Well, It will cover groceries anyway. If I get hired on I will be working 20 hours a week (The max that I am allowed under the student Visa) and I will be working day shifts. Although I was warned that I may have to do an occasional night shift if someone becomes ill or goes on vacation. Didn't seem bad until I learned that this Subway is open until 4:00am!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHANE, GOOK LUCK WITH THE JOB INTERVIEW. MAKE SOME YUMMY SANDWICHES. I KNOW YOU WILL DO WELL WITH YOUR CLASSES AND ALL YOUR WORK. I WONDER EXACTLY HOW MUCH WORK YOU WILL HAVE FOR YOUR DEGREE. TALK LATER LOVE MOM

Jon said...

Best of luck on the Subway job man. 11 bucks an hour can't be bad for making sandwiches. Time to start living on Tuna Sandwiches again! :)

Unknown said...

Wow, 5 hours unpaid training? Ludicrous!

Show them how us yanks make subs shane.