Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The New Hannaford

This weekend there were big goings-on in the little town of Meredith. We got our very own chaing grocery store! For years we have had Jackson Star which is ridiculously ridiculously expensive, and because it is on 104 its a little out of the way too. So every week the town of Meredith collectively drove to either Gilford (for Shaw's or Hannaford) or Tilton (for Market Basket) to get our grocery shopping done. Not pleasant when gas was at $4/gallon.
So the grand opening was at 7 am and the first 500 customers recieved a "gift". Now we were pretty excited to get there to claim our prize, but I had no idea about some other people! One of mom's friends said she couldn't sleep the night before! Another arrived at the store at 615! Ahh, small town New Hampshire:) Shane and I got there at about 8 and we lucked out with a parking space but had to wait five minutes for a shopping cart! There were still plenty of freebies left, so we were happy. The line to check out was wrapped around half of the store but it seemed to go fast. It is going to be exciting to be making a dinner, realize I don't have an ingredient, and know I won't have to pay our life savings for, say, a bunch of broccoli!our freebie included pasta, sauce, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, server, and a big bottle of EVOO-I'd guess it was a value of at least $20!)

5 comments:

Erica said...

Our "new" Hannaford is closer, but I still go to MB. Prices are better there because this Hannaford is over-priced...because it's the only grocery store around! Only go there if I have to, like you said, if you realize you need 1 or 2 things at the last minute....or I'm over in that area. :)

Mike and Ariane said...

I love Hannaford. Prices may be a little higher, but the shopping experience is worth it and I don't have to arm wrestle an old person for fresh vegetables like MB. I can't stand that store. Shaw's is only good for their 10 for $10 deals. I do love Tuttle's but never seem to be able to get there during the week since they close at 6pm! Having Hannaford 1 mile from our house (and it's a small one so I don't spend most of my time going around and around when I remember something not on my list). It's great!

marisaj said...

your prize looks delicious! i hope i get some when i get home!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, nice prize. I love our mini Hannaford which is right around the corner on 108. It's so convenient. I agree with Ariane's post, so I won't bother repeating! Glad you got a usable prize, I always manage to get things like free wine or coffee!

mikensi said...

hannaford = memories from the mission