Thursday, August 27, 2009

Nesting

When I nest, it's nothing helpful. I don't cook a bunch of meals. I don't pack my hospital bag. I don't clean the bathrooms. No. I choose completely inconsequential tasks to take on. With Oliver I cleaned my parents' piano. Dusted and scrubbed all the pollen off of the keys. With Lily I reorganized the linen closet. Something no one will ever see. But, boy howdy it looks great now! I was really proud of myself when I was done. I refolded every single bath towel, hand towel, face cloth, sheet, and blanket in there. I love just going and looking at it. What is great is that Oliver can't get to it so it STAYS clean. I guess thats why I love it. I vacuum the house everyday, but by the next morning, you can't tell! I do the dishes everyday, but by dinner, the sink is full again! The stove never stays clean for more than 5 minutes. The bathroom is perpetually messy. And then there's Oliver's room. Don't even get me started. So to see something that I cleaned that STAYS that way is nice.

Today I have my 39 week appointment. And then I have no more plans for the day, which is nice because I had a VERY full day yesterday. I picked pears, dropped some off to a friend, had lunch with friends at the beach, visited other friends up from New York, dropped by my parents' house to pick up a bathrobe for the hospital, made brownies, had friends over to watch Wipeout (and eat banana splits!), and finally got Oliver to bed at TEN THIRTY!! So today it will be nice to go for a loooooong walk with Oliver and enjoy the gorgeous weather.

Does anyone know how to preserve pears? Is it okay to freeze them before they're ripened? They're a lot easier to peel before they're ripe, but I don't know how they'll taste when I want use them. The last time I froze pears, I cut them up into small cubes, but they came out pretty mushy. I think this time I will just peel, halve, and core them and then freeze them. Also, does anyone have any killer pear recipes? I have a great pear bread recipe, but I have probably 2.5 dozen pears, so I'm going to need LOTS of recipes:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pears are yummy dehydrated. That's the only recipe I know. I guess you can can them to preserve them. Not sure if that's something you can do in a regular water bath,or if you need a pressure canner (depends on acidity).

So, if you feel like it, you can come "nest" at my place!

Jen Hallam said...

Nice nesting my friend. Any day now we could be seeing Lily's sweet face! I can't wait.

Courtney said...

You have to blanch fruits and vegetables for 7 mins in boiling water, less if they're peeled and chopped small, and then thrown into ICE ICE water for 5 mins until cooled. Otherwise the enzymes break them down and make them mush. Even in the freezer. I'd let them ripen a bit before freezing though. But if you wanted to get them done before Lily comes I don't think it will make a huge difference to do it now. :) Thanks again!!