Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sleep Woes


I'm sure you think this is going to be a post about my almost 3 month old. But no. She only wakes up 1-2 times a night and has been down for a nap now for 2 hours. No, the culprit of my sleep woes is indeed my son. I don't know how many posts I have devoted to his sleep problems, but I guess they here's one more. For some reason he has decided that he doesn't like sleeping through the night anymore. For the past week at about 230 he wakes up crying and won't go back to sleep until he gets to sleep on the couch with mom. Not dad (who's supposed to have Oliver duty at night because I have Lily duty), but mom. And I can't just sleep next to his bed. We have to go out onto the couch. Ugh. And about an hour after he falls asleep (if I'm lucky) Lily wakes up for her feeding, so Shane and I have to trade places. I would bring Oliver into bed and be done with it, but he is WAY TOO LOUD and wakes up Lily every time.
I have noticed, though, that this week he has been taking 3 hour naps during the day (either from 1030-130 or 1130-230). So today I woke him up after 2 hours and I'm hoping that will make a difference.
Our trial with Oliver is definitely sleep. He is such a wonderful little boy in every other way, but he still takes a bottle (of water) to bed, needs his hand held to fall asleep, doesn't sleep through the night, and is up for the day at about 530.
He makes up for it, though, when he does things like he did today. He came running out of his room yelling "Mama! Way! Choo Choo! Way! Chugga Choo Choo! Way!" Now he has a lot of words, but most of them you can't figure out what he is saying until after the fact, so what he was saying didn't make a whole lot of sense until I followed him into his room. He had, in fact, put AWAY all of his trains and tracks into the train bucket! What a good little boy! He was so proud of himself for doing it too! I loved it so much!

2 comments:

Monica said...

I think it may just be a phase. Macy and Reily have both gone throught a spurt at about that age where they woke up in the wee hours and watched movies. I specifically remember watching "Nemo" over and over each morning from 2:30 - 4:30. She would be awake the whole time....I would crash before they even left the anemone! It may just be his way of commandeering you from the baby. Good luck!

Nicole said...

We (I) have always had a tricky time with my babies sleeping through the night! I have a hard time letting them cry! Olivia is 16 months and still up for her "bah-bah" one to two times a night. Kinda stinky but like you said, they make up for it! Good thing we love em, and they are so cute! Good luck Jess, miss you!