Tuesday, January 6, 2009

books

I love reading. When we were in Scotland I read 6 books in two weeks. Ever since having Oliver I haven't read as much as I would like. I recently organized a reading group among some of my friends and that has really whet my appetite for reading again! In the past week I have read two really great books. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Sarah's Key by Tatiana di Rosnay. The former is set in 1800's Caribbean and is a long, twisted, sometimes creepy love story. Garcia Marquez was awarded the Nobel Prize for this novel, and after reading it I can really see why. The way that he darts in and out of subjects is unreal, I can never imagine having the ability to write like that. He will start the chapter on the main subject and digress, I kid you not, at least 20 times, and you can still follow each of the story lines that he presents. It is simply amazing.
The latter book is a dual story line of 1942 France and 2002 France. The book revolves around a little girl who is taken to a Concentration Camp; what happens to her, and what happens to those discovering her story 60 years later. I read this 300 page book in under 24 hours because it was so riveting. It is a harrowing, haunting book that I really suggest because it addresses the little known role of the French in the Nazi scheme.
Next month my book group is reading a book by Lance Armstrong, I believe it is kind of like a life lessons sort of book. It will be a nice, light read after these two heavy, profound novels.

7 comments:

Becky said...

totally wanted to thank you for the invite to join your book group. ;)

Sargent Family said...

let me clarify...some friends from my mother's group:) of course you are welcome to be in the book group, becky!!

FAMILIA FLANDERS said...

Yeah, thank you for inviting me too!!! :). I'm so glad for you, enjoy it as much as you can, I used to read a lot too, but with three kids the only thing I read now is their books. I love Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I've read 4 of his books, in spanish of curse.
Keep having fun and tell me which book you like the most, may be some day I'll have the chance of reading again.

Unknown said...

i had so much fun at the reading group the other day! Sorry no one else from church was invited....guess your not cool enough! :)

Sojourner said...

What is the name of the book about the little girl in the concentration camp? I'd like to read it,Diane

Sargent Family said...

The Concentration Camp book is Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Becky said...

Just teasing...I was in a book group but I think I was officially kicked out when I stopped going. Thanks for the offer though!